Three buildings of this 1908 neoclassical landmark in downtown San Francisco, formerly the Southern Pacific Hospital, have been transformed into affordable housing. Listed in the National Register of Historic Districts, the entire renovation and adaptation was designed to comply with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation. In addition, the buildings were seismically reinforced to conform with the San Francisco Earthquake Code, and redesigned to meet modern-day building codes. These different, and sometimes conflicting, standards formed the major challenge for this project. While the lightened colors and all of the interior construction are new, the project is a true historic renovation. The exterior features, including trim, cornices, doors and windows, have been restored to their original condition, and new elements, such as site lighting, outdoor benches and other details, conform to the turn-of-the-century design.